I love finding unusual places to stay and the Don Q – located in Dodgeville, Wisconsin – is certainly one of the strangest in the United States. And it’s not easy to describe…
The first thing you’ll notice when you arrive is the Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter which is sitting abandoned in a nearby field. This sets the tone of a weird and fun stay. There are only about a dozen of these planes left and the fact that one is seemingly in the front garden of the hotel is a little incongruous to say the least.
Then when you walk into the hotel lobby you’ll see that the seating is made up of a collection of barber chairs. For their things get even weirder. For your accommodation, you can choose a regular room or a theme room. What sort of theme? Well…
- Caesar’s Court, decorated and accessorised in an ancient Roman style. Actually there are two – one has a whirlpool and the other has a mirror over the bed …
- Casino Royale – a Vegas-style room decorated in red and black; it also has a whirlpool
- The Cave – yes, this room has been modeled in such a way that you’ll feel as though your Fred and Wilma Flintstone
- Cupid’s Corner – more red and black decor with a heart-shaped bed and, naturally, a mirrored ceiling
- Geisha Garden – yes, Japanese themed
There are others too – a room that is like a wigwam with Native American art, an igloo, the jungle safari room, a hot air balloon themed room with the bed in the balloon’s gondola, a space capsule, a forest and the Arabian Nights room with a 7′ round bed.
Are you wondering about the photograph at the top of the page? No, it’s not a room although you’d be forgiven for thinking it might be. But the fact is that the owners operate a bar and restaurant in a separate building and it’s accessed via the tunnel you see in the photograph.
The place seems rather like a mid century theme park to me – a little tatty in places so don’t expect a five star hotel experience. However, here is a glittering indoor pool, the staff are friendly and the hotel itself is clean and comfortable. And quirky, of course!
HOW TO FIND THE DON Q INN
Don Q Inn
JJ is originally from the UK and has lived in South Florida since 1994. She is the founder and editor of JAQUO Magazine. You can connect with her using the social media icons below.