Bodily fluids. Yep, if you’re an Airbnb or short-term rental host, boldly fluids are something that you’re only too familiar with. So here’s an article on that very subject. Not something we all particularly want to discuss but a large part of our business nevertheless. Sad but true.
Bedding and towels are washed at every turnover so we don’t have to worry too much about bodily fluids there. As long as you wash everything in cold water with Oxyclean, that is. Sure, once in a while there’ll be something that needs soaking (sometimes more than once) but that’s okay.
You might have seen those black lights on one of those horror hotel shows – you know, the ones where hotels are exposed for being much dirtier and badly run than we realise.
If you’ve seen them then you’ll know that the black lights can show where urine has been splashed onto walls or floors near the loo and semen stains on mattresses, on upholstery and other items that are not cleaned with every turnover. You’d be surprised (maybe?) at some of the places that semen stains can lurk. Or do we just have extremely energetic guests???
Using a black light truly gives you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you are offering a totally clean environment for your guests. Black lights are really quite inexpensive (see a selection below) but for the occasional user….
HOW TO USE YOUR PHONE AS A BLACK LIGHT
Yes, your ordinary cellphone, assuming it has a flashlight (as most do) can be used in your rental as a black light. You only need a couple of inexpensive items in order to create the ‘iPhone black light’. In addition to your phone, you need:
- A few small pieces of transparent adhesive tape (I was avoiding using brand names there but I mean Sellotape pr Scotch Tape)
- A blue marker pen (Sharpie or similar)
- A purple marker pen ( ditto )
- Place a small piece of the tape over the flashlight part on the back of your phone
- Once it’s in place. colour the tape in the area over the flashlight with the blue marker
- Add another piece of tape and repeat (colour it with the blue marker)
- Add another piece of tape and this time colour the tape with the purple marker
You have now created a black light!
JJ is originally from the UK and has lived in South Florida since 1994. She is the founder and editor of JAQUO Magazine. You can connect with her using the social media icons below.