Do you love animals? Would you like to stay – free – in accommodations all over the world? Then it’s a great idea to check out Trusted Housesitters. This service specialises in introducing home & pet owners to people who will look after their place – and their animals – while they are away.
There are people throughout the world who want to travel and yet need a reliable person, couple or even family to look after their homes while they are away. They offer you free accommodation in exchange for caring for their pet and house. Most of the time, you’ll find yourself looking after a single cat or dog – but some owners have different requirements.
Some need someone to ‘chicken-sit’ – to look after their hens. Others might need someone to care for their horse – or their smallholding or even small farm. Today I have seen requests such as:
- Look after two cats in Central Melbourne
- Stay with a Golden Retriever in the UK
- Keep a cat company in Austin, Texas
- Dog sitter required in Paris
- Look after a turtle in New Zealand
- Care for a cat and a terrapin in Istanbul
There are thousands of requests and some of the properties you can stay in are simply stunning. Some owners require sitters for just a week, others for as long as a year. It’s a great way for pet-lovers to travel.
Pet sitters say that there are many other advantages in addition to the free accommodation:
- They get the chance to live like a local
- They make new friends
- Solo travellers enjoy knowing that there’s always a pet to cuddle (but maybe not if you’re sitting a terrapin 🙂 )
- Families are abble to become sitters too – so that the kids can go along and enjoy the experience
- Sitters experience different ways of life – and different animals
- Because sitters are living in a home
- Caring for animals reduces stress and aids relaxation
- It gives those who are unable to keep pets at home an opportunity to be a temporary pet owner
- They get experience of many different animals and breeds
And you know that you have back-up too. The Trusted Housesitters team has a highly responsive helpline and there’s also a 24 hour medical hotline with qualified vets.
LEARN MORE IN THE VIDEO BELOW
JJ is originally from the UK and has lived in South Florida since 1994. She is the founder and editor of JAQUO Magazine. You can connect with her using the social media icons below.